- Researching the behavior and populations of Gulf of Maine fin, humpback and minke whales.
- Educating people about marine life and human impacts through hands-on experiences, including beach cleanups, whale watches, school programs and our Blue Ocean Discovery Center in Hampton Beach.
- Inspiring and taking action through marine debris cleanups, pollution prevention campaigns and introducing simple behavior changes anyone can take to benefit Gulf of Maine marine life.
Goal: Use our leading research to protect marine life in the Gulf of Maine.
- Increase the scientific knowledge base of the health, habitat use, population and behavior of whales, which are indicator species in the Gulf of Maine.
- Document human and environmental impacts on marine life to develop programs to better protect them in the future.
- Collaborate with the broader scientific community to protect marine life in the Gulf of Maine.
Goal: Increase the number of informed, appreciative and passionate citizens who engage in protecting marine life.
- Using interactive experiences, inspire more than 50,000 people each year to become marine life advocates.
- Teach more than 5,000 students annually about whale biology, behavior and conservation using our life-sized inflatable whale.
- Help 20,000 annual Blue Ocean Discovery Center visitors make lasting connections to the ocean through personal experiences at our touch tanks and exhibits.
- Provide the best whale watching experience in New England to over 25,000 passengers annually.
- Inspire 3,000+ beach cleanup volunteers per year to prevent pollution.
- Host an annual workshop to provide professional development, scientific information and inspiration to other educators.
Goal: Increase the number of people that take action to protect the marine environment.
- Provide meaningful hands-on experiences that lead to protection of marine life.
- Encourage and demonstrate sustainable actions for the benefit of marine life.
- Inspire giving to support Blue Ocean Society’s work.
Goal: Have the necessary resources to achieve our mission and to sustain and expand the organization.
- Increase resources to refine and improve all of our programs.
- Have a strong Board of Directors that is diverse, engaged and well-qualified.
- Achieve a balanced financial portfolio.